It’s Mother’s Day weekend. Call your Mom and pamper the Mother of your children. The Bible has much to say about Mothers and Women in general. Men, and Women, take heed. ♦
From these various vantage points, it is an amazing thing to consciously observe and note the ways and means of Women and Mothers.
Women are amazing. Beautiful and delicate like flowers; loving and nurturing like…Mothers, actually. An extension of Man since creation, intended for good and blessing, Women are helpers to men, lovers, and wise, nurturing counsel.
The Bible calls it out.
Women, Wives, Mothers, and the Bible
The Bible has plenty to say about Woman, Wives and Mothers. We should all, Men and Women, take heed. While these verses may apply specifically to Women, Wives, and Mothers, they can almost be applied interchangeably under the banner of Women:
- Are Agreeable
- A foolish son is ruin to his father, and a wife’s quarreling is a continual dripping of rain. – Proverbs 19:13
- It is better to live in a corner of the housetop than in a house shared with a quarrelsome wife. – Proverbs 21:9
- It is better to live in a desert land than with a quarrelsome and fretful woman. – Proverbs 21:19
- Are Excellent
- An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. – Proverbs 31:10
- Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praises her. – Proverbs 31:28
- Are Faithful and Trustworthy
- In the same way, the women are to be worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything. – 1 Timothy 3:11
- And Mary said: “My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. – Luke 1:46-48
- His wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’s commandments and regulations blamelessly. – Luke 1:5-6
- Are Gracious and Honorable
- A gracious woman gets honor, and strong men get riches. – Proverbs 11:16
- Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you. – Exodus – 20:12
- Are Helpful
- Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.” – Genesis 2:1
- Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. – Proverbs 31:11-12
- Are Kindhearted and Generous
- She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy. She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet. – Proverbs 31:20-21
- She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. – Proverbs 31:26
- Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? – Isaiah 49:15
- As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you. – Isaiah 66:13
- Are Submissive and Respectful (Men, don’t misread and abuse this!)
- But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. – 1 Corinthians 11:3
- Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church… However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband. – Ephesians 5:22-23, 33
- Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. – 1 Peter 3:1-2
- Are Wise
- The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down. – Proverbs 14:1
- She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. – Proverbs 31:26
- My son, keep your father’s commandment, and forsake not your mother’s teaching. – Proverbs 6:20-22
Wow. High Standards
Yes, very high standards indeed. And any of us as men, women, and children, at various times in our lives live up to these standards or fall short. But God has blessed each of us with life originating from mothers who loved, cared and nurtured us from Day 1. Let us on this Mother’s Day weekend re-establish our commitment to love, honor, respect, cherish, and support the women/mothers/wives of our lives who do the best they can every day.
And I, as an imperfect, ever-developing son, husband, father, and grandfather, will seek to go beyond the flowers, card, breakfast-in-bed, dish washing, clean up the house, routine of this Mothering-honoring annual event, to a mindful, deliberate routine of Mother/Wife/Woman honoring and cherishing all through the year.
Yes, today is the first day of my new resolve and commitment to my wife and mother of my children to “Make a Woman’s Day” every day.
Are you honoring the Women in your life: Mother and Wife?
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise—“so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” – Ephesians 6:1-3