It’s Father’s Day weekend. Time to be honored and enjoy our family with picnics and/or watching sports or reading the paper in peace. But beyond that, how are we really doing? ♦
It’s cute. It’s fun. And most of us leave it at that.
Why not use it as a personal Man, Father, Husband, Grandfather Check-up Time as well?
Are you a Gold Medalist?
How are we doing as Men? As Dads? As Husbands? As Grandfathers? Not to lay a big guilt trip on us already burden-laden men, it is fair game to have us assess ourselves in the Man/Dad/Husband/Grandfather category.
Are we doing okay? Are we on track? Are we normal? Are we straying? Are we shirking our responsibilities? Are we recovering and healing well? Are we getting healthy? Are we getting lazy? Are we selfish? Are we growing?
Are we men of impact, on our family, children and those around us? Are we good and noble men? Godly men? Ungodly men? Dangerous men? Dead men?
These are not trick questions, but ones that we should ask ourselves at this natural time of a mid-year Father’s Day Review of sorts.
Here are some independent, self-paced topics to consider and self-assess your current status as a man/father/husband/grandfather:
- Effective Fathering – 5 essentials for a truly effective Dad
- Enhancing Marriage Communications – how to have deeper conversations in your marriage
- Managing Outside Relationships – surviving pressures from outside family relationships
- Are You Growing? – are you progressing and developing as a man should?
- Mixing Fathering and Religion – unifying disparate beliefs
- Leading Your Marriage – are you effectively coaching and guiding your wife?
- Being a Loving Husband – 3 fundamental duties for men
- Liking Each Other – a simple tactic that can change your marriage
- Being Patient with Non-Believers – it’s actually never too late, just a shame
- Wayward Children – 8 lessons from the Prodigal Son
- Sons and Daughters-in-Law – practical ways to impact the future spouses of your children
- Making Big Decisions – 4 ideas and actions for right decision-making
- Faith of a Child? – do you have a clear understanding of faith?
- Effective Grandparenting – 4 key essentials for your grandchildren
- Essentials for Men – 4 keys to authentic manhood
- Good-to-Great Dad – 3 ways to be more than just a Good Dad
- Rekindling Real Love in Marriage – re-sourcing real love in your marriage
- Would My Wife Do This? – a true gift from one’s wife
- A Father’s Impact on His Family – how to perpetuate or eliminate wounds in your family
- Are You a Poser? – recognizing the fraud that we are
- Essentials for Our Wives – 6 keys to loving and nurturing our wives
- Essentials for Our Sons – 4 healthy essentials to pass down to our sons
- Essential for Our Daughters – 4 healthy essentials to pass down to our daughters
- Essentials My Wife Needs to Give Me – 4 keys for all husbands
- Am I Really a Wise Father? – am I doing this?
- Praying for Your Family – how to really add a whole new dimension to your family’s life.
Go easy on yourself, but be open to stretching yourself as well. We’ve all got room to develop. I only became fully proactive and engaged with these notions and ideas and the effective application of them well into my 37 years of marriage.
I’m still working it. My family patiently loves me as your family no doubt loves you, even as you work toward the medal stand.
How are you really doing this Father’s Day? Are you a Gold Medalist?
Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. – Ephesians 6:4